Thursday, April 13, 2006

Books

Monique definitely has a click for recomending books I will like. I finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being a couple days ago. It's an unbelivably good read. Although I am not sure if I truly grasped the whole of the book in one go (probably not...) I was quiet moved by the ease and control Milan Kundera shows throughout the novel.

Here's a couple bits that caught my eye and made me drift for a while... It is when I read these that I find myself truly lost in a book. Just too good:

"...It is wrong, then, to chide a novel for being fascinated by mysterious coincidences, but it is right to chide man for beign blind to such coincidences in his daily life. For he thereby deprieves his life of a dimension of beauty..."

"...I have said before that metaphors are dangerous. Love begins with a metaphor. Which is to say, love begins at the point when a woman enters her first word into our poetic memory..."

After finishing the book, I decided to go for a change of pace. So I read The Tale of Despereaux, a really nice children's book by kate DiCamillo. The change of pace really made me appreciate the simple, yet fun approach of Despereaux. A nice little book. No more than a day or two to finish it.

Right now I am trying to decide what to read next. I have a couple books on the shelf... I should make up my mind tonight....

mau.

No comments: